Anythink announces One Kind Word Project
To help spread kindness and compassion throughout the community, Anythink will host the One Kind Word Project this Feb. 6-11, 2017. Inspired by a Japanese proverb – One kind word can warm three winter months – this weeklong initiative invites community members to write notes of kindness to strangers. Materials for creating these custom cards will be provided at each Anythink location, where they will then be collected and distributed to organizations across Adams County in an effort to spread cheer to those in need. Partner organizations for the One Kind Word Project include ABLE Colorado, the Brighton Nonprofit Council, Food Bank of the Rockies, International Hearing Dog, Inc., Meals on Wheels, North Metro Community Services, Inc., Prairie Creeks Living Center, Project Angel Heart and the Thornton Community Food Bank.
“Small things can make a big difference, and words are powerful,” says Anythink Director Pam Sandlian Smith. “The kindness of strangers can turn a bad day into a reason to hope. This project is a small but powerful way to bring our community together.”
While making cards, participants are also invited to explore their creativity. Anythink has partnered with local artists to provide a series of workshops on calligraphy, embossing and screen printing. Attendees of these workshops will be able to learn new skills that can be used to create a card for a loved one or the One Kind Word Project.
Screen Printing with Ink Lounge
Discover the fun of screen printing and customize your own screen-printed notecard during this educational workshop with Denver-based Ink Lounge.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2 pm – Anythink Wright Farms
- Thursday, Feb. 9, 10:30 am – Anythink Wright Farms
- Friday, Feb. 10, 4 pm – Anythink Huron Street
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 10:30 am – Anythink Bennett
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2 pm – Anythink Perl Mack
Calligraphy Workshop with Evette Goldstein
Learn the art of beautiful lettering during this introductory workshop with award-winning calligrapher Evette Goldstein, whose work hangs in the White House and Colorado State House. Appropriate for ages 9 and up. Space is limited; registration required. Please visit our online calendar to register.
- Monday, Feb. 6, 3:30 pm – Anythink Huron Street
- Monday, Feb. 6, 6 pm – Anythink Brighton
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 6:30 pm – Anythink Wright Farms
- Friday, Feb. 10, 3 pm – Anythink Perl Mack
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2 pm – Anythink York Street
Embossing Workshop with Valerie Doyle
Create sophisticated designs through the process of embossing. Join artist Valerie Doyle in creating one-of-a-kind cards with dimension. No experience necessary. Space is limited; registration required. Please visit our online calendar to register.
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 4 pm – Anythink Huron Street
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 6 pm – Anythink Brighton
- Friday, Feb. 10, 1 pm – Anythink Bennett
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 11 am – Anythink Huron Street
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2 pm – Anythink Commerce City