Businesses at every stage – from ideation to launch to scale – can benefit from the resources at the public library and the expertise of librarians. Libraries give companies access to data, market research, testing and opportunities to scale. Librarians also have an extensive knowledge base to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses.
Libraries are mobile and forward-thinking
Libraries have innovative resources, such as 3D printers and tablets, which can be leveraged during the product development cycle. Many of the resources you need can be accessed remotely from your office.
• Access resources that otherwise would cost thousands of dollars, from ReferenceUSA to Business Source Premier to Regional Business News.
• Check for patent and trademark information
• Gather competitive data
• Develop your pitch deck for investors
• Research your supply chain, and financial and legal information
Librarians can serve as an extension of your staff and will help you harness the power of these resources to grow your business.
Data & Testing
• Libraries can support product development and testing, including access to hardware and platforms in real-world conditions.
• Get your product in the hands of potential customers
• Convene a focus group or
• Generate useful feedback that can be applied to the development process
Librarians want to support local businesses. They are there to help, and they are interested in your success.
Going to Market
• The library is a showroom. Studies show, people are more likely to buy a product after first trying it at the library.
• Allow potential customers to experience your platform, product or service firsthand through the local library
• Conduct ongoing research
and competitive analysis to continue innovation
Librarians are early-adopters and train late-cycle adopters (the public) every day on emerging technologies, platforms, apps, and innovations. Harness the power of these resources to grow your business.
John Chrastka is a long-time library trustee and the founder of EveryLibrary, the first and only national organization dedicated exclusively to political action to support libraries. EveryLibrary helps libraries across the country campaign for voter support at the ballot box. You can help by donating to EveryLibrary at everylibrary.org and by sharing your passion for libraries with friends and family.